Monday, January 7, 2013

Our Journey in to Cross Cultural Missions: Part 4 (of 4)


Kurtis has brought up doing Missions work a few times in our almost ten years of marriage.  Each time he mentioned it, my heart jumped (from fear, not excitement).  Me, in a different country?  No way!  Missionaries get killed all the time, you know!?  Am I really willing to lay down my life for my faith? Is God REALLY calling me to do that?  I think he might just be okay with my comfortable life.

Plus – I tried learning a different language in high school.  It didn’t go so well.

By the way, I can only handle normal foods.  They eat bugs in other countries!!!


So when Kurtis told me that he learned about an opportunity that might be interesting, part of me was scared to death and the other part of me was anxious to go.  I know I just said that the other times Kurtis had brought up missions, I turned him down right away, but God really has been working on me;  opening my heart up to what His plans are instead of mine. Giving me a desire to live a life of complete abandon.  I have had this desire for most of my life; just wasn’t always willing to fully let go.

The last day in Africa we stopped by a mall to do some last minute shopping and use up a few hours before we headed to the airport.  I approached my new friend, Rachel there and asked her to fill me in on this opportunity that Kurtis brought up the night before.

Rachel works for an organization called Extreme Nazarene.  They are a church planting organization that has been focusing its efforts on South America.  This organization takes very seriously the call to “Go into all the world and make disciples”.  They are starting in South America and hope to take what they have created with the Lord’s leading and share the gospel of Jesus Christ with as many people as possible all around the world.

The way they go about doing this is what really resonated with our hearts:
They take 40 young adults (18-30 years old) from the United States, and 40 from South America and put them into groups of 10.   Each group of 10 is assigned to a town/city in South America and their mission is to go out in to the community, share the hope of Christ with those they meet, build relationships with them, study God’s word with them, and in doing this; make disciples of Christ.  Through this effort, a church building will be built for these people to attend, grow, learn, and disciple others.  It is a beautiful plan that has had a lot of success. People are hungry for the Lord; they just need someone to tell them about Him. “Beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” Romans 10:15

With each group of ten, there is what is called a Cluster Coordinator Couple.  This is a couple or a family that will live with the 40/40’s (group of 10) and be there to support them, disciple them; encourage them, pray for them, and live life with them.

As I listened to Rachel talk about the position in South America (Cluster Coordinator Family), my heart raced.  Every new aspect of what she said seemed to match what was so strongly on Kurtis’ heart and mine.  We could live in community (living in a house with 10 young adults may be an understatement of community J) and truly live life with people as we would have the beautiful opportunity to seek after Christ with a group of people who truly desire to know Him.  We would have the chance to do all of this in a different culture, where I believe Kurtis’ relational skill will thrive!

So, although God did not speak audibly to tell us to go to Manta, Ecuador; He definitely spoke and our hearts desire is to follow, with everything we are.

So after many prayers, quite moments, and tears; we applied for the Cluster Coordinator Position in Manta, Ecuador and we were accepted!  Lord willing, our family will be selling most of what we have, and will be moving to a new home for 2 ½ years, beginning April 30th 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment